July 04, 2015 Textile Minister Santosh Gangwar today laid the foundation stone for an apparel and garment making centre in Aizawl, the capital of Mizoram.
"The centre will be the beginning of setting up an organised industry in Mizoram," Gangwar said.
Apparel and garment making centres are being opened in every state of the Northeastern region as part of the initiative announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 1, 2014.
Before Mizoram, apparel and garment manufacturing centres have been set up in all other seven states of Northeastern region.
This initiative comes under the North East Region Textile Promotion Scheme (NERTPS) of the Ministry of Textiles.
NERTPS is an umbrella scheme for the development of various segments of textiles -- silk, handlooms, handicrafts and garments.
Of the total outlay of Rs 1,038.10 crore, Rs 18.9 crore has been given to Mizoram for setting up of this centre where the state government provides 1.5 acres of land free of cost.
The centre will be managed by the Ministry of Textiles for 5 years and will be handed over to the state government thereafter.
Textiles Secretary S K Panda said that the garment making centre will provide employment to the youth of Mizoram. It will also lead a way for developing technical textile and skilled personnel which will in turn contribute to the economy of Mizoram.
The Minister also inaugurated the Weavers' Service Centre which will benefit many handloom weavers in the state.
Weavers' Service Centre established under the funds of the Ministry of Textiles, Government of Mizoram aims to provide technical assistance, advice, designs and marketing opportunity to all weavers and concerns in the handloom sector.
- BTMA signals minimum wage structure for cotton textile sector within next two weeks
- ASEAN delegation to visit India on 17 Feb for FTA review
- Bank fraud case: Textile baron Neeraj Saluja sent to 5-day police remand
- New MSME payment rule leads to many cancelled orders
- India’s cotton yarn exports to surge by 85-90% in FY2024: ICRA
- New Rule of Payment to MSMEs Causes Uncertainty in Textile Markets
- CITI Indian textile bodies urge Piyush Goyal for cotton stability
- Ludhiana’s Hosiery & Knitwear Sector In Trouble Amid Slow Demand
- Panipat News: यार्न, फैब्रिक और टेक्सटाइल मशीनरी के मेगा ट्रेड शो का आज शुरू
- Textile mill associations urge government for financial support